Many of the image viewers may be used to load images and save in a different format.
Some of these viewers allow batch conversions, which is more convenient. If Laser
Sharp is used exclusively images are best kept in Bio-rad pic format. However many
of the progams that allow greater flexibility in image processing do not support the
Bio-rad pic format. PIC files may be converted with Confocal Assistant to bmp or tif
format and with pic2bmp to bmp image format.
Batch Image Format Converters
- Confocal Assistant: converts pic to bmp or tif. Does not support multiple
color images. Converts pic files into tif or bmp format using file->Batch
- pic2bmp: command line program that converts pic to bmp image format. This
program supports file name greater than 8 characters, which is important if
stacks are converted, since a sequential number is appended after the file name.
- bmp2pic: converts bmp to pic.
- HiJaak: converts images between the common file formats including
workstation formats. Multiple images may be processed at once.
Single Image Viewers and Converters
- LViewPro: Supports bmp, tif, tga, pcx, gif and many other common image
formats but not bio-rad pic images.
- Photoshop: Like LViewPro. Supports bmp, tif and many other common image
formats but not bio-rad pic images. A Bio-rad pic reading plugin exists for
Photoshop but only reads in the 1st image of a multiple file stack.
- HiJaakPro: Views and converts all common image file formats, but not Bio-rad
Return to Cell Biology Confocal Home page.